Thursday, May 27, 2010

ON ACTING: Preparing for the Scene

The student asked me:

"What do I do in the next class after having received and cold read the scene in the first class?"

My answer:

"Work hard to memorize your lines, and then find a way to "become your character", that is, find emotional similarities in your life and the character's life until you are no longer playing the character, but during the scene you are the character: reacting onstage to the other character's words and events of the scene spontaneously and without consciousness aforethought, at the deepest, most interesting aspects of yourself."

3 Comments:

Blogger Ziyah said...

Concise and really fantastic. Perfectly eloquent ...

I need to spend more time on this blog, but it can keep me up at night. It can drive me bat shit!

4:07 PM  
Blogger AaronSpeiser said...

I agree with Cliff,
As an acting coach my myself I am a firm believer that when portraying an emotion, It must be important to your character and therefore yourself.

A craftsman learns how to avoid mistakes. An artist learns how to use them

I address such questions on my blog- http://aaronspeiser.com/

And Twitter- http://twitter.com/AaronSpeiserAct

8:17 AM  
Blogger Ziyah said...

I like that a lot. The "Craftsman Artist" thing. Nicely put!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home