Saturday, December 19, 2009

ON ACTING: Thinking during Performance


From Tim A:

"Any advice on how to not think too much about acting? I find that when I try to work hard, I end up thinking too much and I end up getting self-conscious."


My reply:


Tim:

The best general rule about thinking while acting is: Think before you act; think after you act; but when you act, just live.

As in sports, an actor (or athlete) can prepare for a game; but you can't prepare the game itself. It hasn't happened yet! And once the game starts, you don't really know what the other team is going to do; so when the game (or performance) begins: You just play it as it lays. (And trust your in your preparation; that you will spontaneously and automatically play it well.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home