Monday, September 08, 2008

ON ACTING: On Climbing A Mountain Without a Safety Net

Alec Baldwin, as quoted Ian Parker in a The New Yorker magazine article:

"I don't think I really have a talent for movie acting. I'm not bad at it, but I don't think I really have a talent for it." He [Baldwin] described the film actor's need to project strength and weakness simultaneously. "Nicholson's my idol this way. Pacino. There's a mix you have to have were the character is vulnerable, the character is up against it, but there is still a glimmer of resourcefulness in his eye--you look at him and the actor is telegraphing to you this is not going to last very long. 'I'm down--Randle McMurphy, Serpico, whatever it is--'but it's not going to last. I'm still going to find my way out of this."

Commitment and vulnerability, text and sub-text, co-existent....an excellent, cogent and brave honest acting analysis by Mr. Baldwin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home