Tuesday, July 10, 2012

ON ACTING: A life, onstage or off, without an obective, is a boring life.

WHERE DID THE MONTH GO? I HOPE I HAD A HAPPY BRAIN VACATION!!! I DID. I HOPE YOU MISSED ME.

Why is an objective (goal, intention, arc, aim) important for a character to have in any scene, short or long, or whole work?

Objectives energize people, and hence actors-as-characters. A life (or performance) without a goal is formless, unfocused and random. Yes, I know that one could argue that all life is random. But I would argue in return: (1) random life is very boring; (2) moreover, the statement that 'all life is random' is an untrue statement, at least from my perspective. Life may seem random to someone else's perspective, but I would argue that at that person's unconscious, unrealizable core--if they are alive--they are about something purposeful: that is, fundamentally, their own survival. Their heart beats to enable them to stay alive; their blood flows to enable them to stay alive; they have eyes to enable them to stay alive (to see danger coming...). Once all these physical elements cease their purposeful functioning, the body is dead.

So is a performance without a goal, or objective.

Trust me. I seen tens of thousands of them--the one's without an objective--and they have all been boring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home